We deliver high quality work placement and recruitment services which provide effective, professional and comprehensive support to employers looking to fulfil long or short-term recruitment needs.
We have spent over 25 years working with more than 2,000 businesses including small, medium and blue chip organisations both nationally and internationally.
Services for You
We can offer a range of options to your organisation:
Undergraduate 12 month Placements
Business School students talking about their experiences on placements
Our placement programme offers your organisation an undergraduate Business School student for a 12 month work placement. As part of their four year sandwich degree, these students spend 12 months within a commercial organisation, relating their study to a real-life business situation.
Our students have been placed with a wide range of small, medium and blue chip organisations, including Alcatel, Astra Zeneca, BASF, Coca Cola, Dell, Ford, Hewlett Packard, IBM, KPMG, Lloyds TSB, Marks and Spencer, Mercedes, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, Railtrack, Rolls Royce, Sony, Vauxhall and Xerox.
Students have also enjoyed placements within the public sector at NHS trusts, councils and education authorities.
Programmes including placements
All of our undergraduate programmes include a placement year, spanning general business and management as well as more specialised marketing, business IT and HRM programmes:
- BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- BA (Hons) Advertising Management and Brand Management
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business
- BA (Hons) Financial Services, Planning and Management
- BA (Hons) Human Resource Management
- BA (Hons) International Business
- BA (Hons) Marketing Management
- BA (Hons) Public Relations and Digital Communications Management
- BA (Hons) Retail Marketing Management
- BA (Hons) Sports Management
- BA (Hons) Sports Marketing Management
All of our third year placement students have an appreciation of subject areas such as marketing, finance, operations and HRM and will be familiar with the application of IT skills in a business context. However, some students will have a more in depth understanding of specific subject areas depending on the programme they are studying.
Conditions of employment
The terms and conditions of the employment period usually conform to the normal practices of the employer. The student will fit into your environment as a standard employee and will be subject to the same set of rules as those adhered to by their colleagues.
Salaries vary between £11,500 – £16,500 depending on the role and location. The Placement and Employability Unit are happy to advise on this.
Timescales and duration
Placements normally commence in July, August or September. Students must work for a minimum of 36 weeks, however most placements last up to 12 months.
‘Kim was quickly recognised as a valued and trusted team member. She made a valuable contribution during a year of great change and always proved keen to take on challenging work.’
— Jeremy Cotter, eBusiness Solutions Centre, Network Rail
‘My responsibilities working for Network Rail included managing the call queue, handling technical support calls and assisting with project work and recruitment. Since completing my placement I have also secured a place on the company’s graduate scheme.’
— Kimberley Burrell, BA (Hons) Business (Sandwich)
For more information about student placements, please contact the Placement Office on 0161 247 3711 or email email@example.com.
The Business School has a number of Undergraduate and Postgraduate students seeking summer Internships and the opportunity to expand on their skills and experience, whilst adding value to an organisation such as yours.
Our Summer Internship programmes give you the opportunity to take on a student, who will work in a designated area of your organisation, completing key business-related tasks; whether it be help with marketing/ advertising, general assistance, or project-based assignments.
We have students available from a wide range of business disciplines to suit your needs such as, Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Business, Human Resource Management, and IT. This enables you to gain access to fresh ideas from students who are eager to learn and develop; potentially uncovering future talent for your organisation.
Internships can commence anytime from May through to September for a period of 6 to 12 weeks.
The Degree Apprenticeship in Technology Solutions
The new Degree Apprenticeship in Technology Solutions is an industry driven and government supported approach, which will enable businesses to develop their own graduate-level employees. Apprentices will work full-time with their employer, while studying towards a Technology Solutions Degree on site at Manchester Metropolitan University's £75 million Business School.
Are you a student? Find Out More..
Are you an employer? Find Out More..
Are you looking for the right graduate to fill a position or placement within your organisation? There is a resource on your doorstep that offers access to one of the North West’s richest pools of talent, energy and enthusiasm.
At the Business School, we educate over 5,000 students from a diverse range of background and across a wide choice of subject disciplines, from general business and management to specialised programmes in HRM, marketing, accountancy and business information technology. We work very closely with the University’s Employability and Careers Service, particularly in terms of undergraduate and postgraduate recruitment.
Using this service will put you directly in front of this talent. There should be someone who’s right for you.
To discuss the opportunities available to your organisation, for example if you have specific graduate vacancies you would like to advertise, please contact the Employability and Careers Service on 0161 247 3483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Projects at MMUBS
Undergraduate and Postgraduate students from a range of disciplines are available to work on projects for your organisation. Projects are completed in groups, or on an individual basis by our MBAs, who have significant experience within industry. You will benefit from the expertise, knowledge and fresh ideas of our students as well as a key member of academic staff who will supervise the progress and deliverables of the project.
Organisations are invited to submit project proposals covering topics in a range of subject areas such as; Strategic Management, Financial Analysis, Market Entry Strategy, Logistics and Supply Chain Management and Change, HR, Business Sustainability, Marketing & PR.
Projects take place throughout the academic year and span 6 – 15 weeks in duration dependant on the project size and scope. Take a look at the project timeline to see which students are available now.
Project deliverables encompass a written report detailing recommendations to your organisation. You may also ask the student/s to present their findings in the form of a presentation to relevant company representatives.
All projects are unsalaried on an 'expenses only' basis. Students are able to work remotely but may need to arrange meetings with key individuals as part of the project requirements. As a result, these
opportunities allow you to have the work completed at little or no cost.
Submitting a project proposal
To express your interest or to submit a project proposal please contact Lindsay Halliday on 0161 247 6628 or email email@example.com
Companies who have hosted students projects include; Kelloggs, E-fficiency Ltd, NHS, Daisy Communications, Integrated Magnetics, City Response Ltd, Manchester Creative, Stockport Council, The Crown Plaza, Bruntwood, Hilton Hotel, Carole Nash, MMC Learning, The Kindling Trust, myparceldelivery.com, Bolton School Services ltd, Manchester Digital Development Agency, Manchester City Council, Manchester Student Homes and Oldham Council -Waste Management Group.
MBA and Postgraduate Summer Consultancy Project Examples:
- Undertake market analysis to understand the potential demand for a new product line. Research the market potential and create a strategy for entry/growth.
- Develop a business plan to implement a 'process driven' sales structure. Initial analysis of current sales processes and research into viable methods and models.
- Product and pricing - to conduct a competitive analysis of Daisy's products and pricing within each of its customer segments within the UK Telco market place.
- To create a capability strategy for a European Finance Shared Service Centre to drive the development of talent and support a culture of continuous improvement.
- Indirect Procurement – to conduct an analysis of indirect spend by category and supplier to determine a cost effective procurement strategy.
- Benchmark and monitor the region's role in the global market, assessing how effective the current strategy has been.
- Review existing HR policies and procedures.
- An efficiency review of physical logistics and services with a view to making structural and systematic improvements.
Undergraduate Business Project Examples
- Evaluating marketing communication strategies used by the company and its competitors to support the introduction of new product developments in the relevant sector.
- Develop a marketing campaign targeting particular sectors as part of a strategy to broaden the company's customer base beyond the current provision.
- Develop an information/resource pack to be used by small and medium sized enterprises aiming to improve environmental awareness of staff members and to improve the green credentials of the business as a whole.
- Map UK market relevant sports supplement products in terms of overall and sector scale, marketing channels and growth potential, assessing the potential of supplying to appropriate retailers.
- Research new and existing techniques and create a plan to implement a social media marketing strategy to extend MMC Learning's online profile.
- Produce a report / presentation into the leading international Creative and Digital Innovation facilities with particular focus on who they are aimed at, what services they offer, their value and USP and general cost information.
Student Projects Timeline
Voluntary Work Experience
mmuXchange is a free service from Manchester Metropolitan University that enables you to advertise short, unpaid work-focused projects to students at the Business School and Manchester Law School. Select a student from our talent pool, bring them into your organisation and see what a difference they can make.
For more information visit:
We will provide you with a comprehensive service in recruiting your placement student(s) including:
- Company presentations to widely promote your business and the placement(s) available.
- Advertising your position through our notice boards, online placement portal, weekly student e-shots and social media activities via MMUBS’ Facebook Group page.
- The Placement Office also organises an annual placement fair and career development event. This takes place on campus and is a chance to meet with students to discuss placement and graduate opportunities.
- Collection and despatch of CVs, cover letters and application forms.
- Facilities for interviewing and assessing students.
- Delivery of constructive feedback to students after CV submission and/or interviews if desired.
Throughout the entire placement period, you can access the full back up service of the placement team and an allocated placement tutor during the student’s period of employment with you.