Published: 15th February 2006
Manchester Metropolitan is the 7th most popular UK university, according to the latest figures from the Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
MMU, consistently popular with students, has so far received 36,361 applications for degree and other courses starting in September 2006, making it more sought-after than Sheffield (32,937), Warwick (28,987) and Liverpool (28,458).
The running figure is the second highest figure ever, well above the 35,050 in 2004 and only slightly down on the record 38,140 last year which saw an 8% rise in applications.
Quality teaching and facilities
A University spokesman said MMU’s sustained popularity was due to a number of factors.
- The high quality teaching environment which has seen top 10 rankings for sport science and materials engineering, and top 20 places for sociology, nursing, hospitality, education, business & management, engineering, drama, architecture and art & design.
- The increase in visit days and record numbers of applicants who visited the university on visit and open days and saw for themselves the quality of the MMU experience. www.mmu.ac.uk/experience
- The soaring success of Manchester as a creative, vibrant and diverse city.*
- The individual success of MMU graduates who continue to be highly employable. (95% found jobs or further study places in 2004, higher than the national average for UK universities)
* MMU is the third most exciting destination for students, according to a national survey of 10,000 undergraduates.